Cold and Flu Fighting Volume (2) – (Article 2 of 4)Magalies Citrus
by Dr. Marli Botha
When you are suffering from a cold or the flu, food may not be a priority. But healthy foods and beverages can offer relief—either from the symptoms or to help strengthen your immune system—so you can get better faster.
Here are 5 foods to help you get better faster:
- Curcumin, the natural compound in turmeric responsible for its vibrant colour, is a potent anti-inflammatory compound. It has also been shown to boost immune cell activity and enhance antibody responses.
- Spicy peppers, including cayenne powder, help to thin mucus to relieve nasal congestion. Capsaicin, the compound that gives spicy peppers their heat, may also help suppress a cough. Add a pinch of ground cayenne to your tea, soup, or broth
- Raw honey has been shown to help ease coughs in children, it may also help boost immunity. Take it off a spoon to soothe your throat and potentially relieve a cough, or stir it into to your chamomile tea.
- Bananas are one of the easiest foods on the digestive system and remain one of the few appealing foods when appetite is diminished due to illness. They also raise blood sugar and provide energy while delivering key nutrients that help support the immune system, including vitamins C and B6, copper, and folate. They’re also chock full of potassium, an electrolyte lost in sweat.
- Pomegranate juice is another food that supports immunity via its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory activity. The flavonoid antioxidants found in pomegranate juice have also been shown to combat viruses and decrease the length of a cold by as much as 40%. Sip on pomegranate juice, add splashes to water or chamomile tea.
It is important to mention that no food is meant to be a cure-all for any condition, though there are certainly health and skin benefits contained within them. The one thing you should always do before using a new skincare product is to do a patch test to look for allergies and sensitivities.