Peel Appeal: Red – Volume 1 – (Article 1 of 6)Magalies Citrus
by Dr. Marli Botha
Colourful foods, which are generally fruits and vegetables, contain many of the vitamins and antioxidants we need. Along with maintaining good health, the nutrients in vegetables and fruits work together to protect against cancer, heart disease, vision loss, hypertension and other diseases. Increasing fruits and vegetables in your diet is a great step to improve your health.
- Red-coloured fruits and vegetables are rich in nutrients and therefore extremely beneficial to our health. These fruits are red because of the lycopene, anthocyanins and carotenoids and other phytochemicals in them.
- Lycopene is an essential and powerful antioxidant that boosts immunity in the human body.
- Red fruits and vegetables protect our hearts, reduces the risk of developing atherosclerosis, hypertension and high cholesterol.
- The phytonutrient quercetin, found in apples, has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce the risk of cancer.
- Pomegranates may support blood vessel health and cherries may help arthritis.
- Red fruits like cranberries, also protects urinary tract health and regulates healthy digestion.
- Red Vegetables: tomatoes, radishes, red cabbage, beets
- Red Fruits: red grapes, strawberries, watermelon, cherries, raspberries, pomegranates, cranberries, red apples