USES AND BENEFITS OF ORANGE OILMagalies Citrus
by Dr. Marli Botha
Orange oil is an essential oil produced by cells within the rind of an orange fruit (Citrus sinensis fruit).
In contrast to most essential oils, it is extracted as a by-product of orange juice production. It is composed of mostly (greater than 90%) d-limonene and is often used in place of pure d-limonene. The compounds inside orange oil vary with each different oil extraction, as a result of regional and seasonal changes.
Here are 5 uses and/or benefits of orange oil:
- Orange oil can be used in green pesticides for biological pest control. It can kill ants, and by erasing their scent-pheromone trail indicators disrupts re-infestation. Orange oil is also known to be useful to control, but not exterminate Drywood termites, killing only those who come into direct contact with it.
- Orange oil is used as a cleaner. When it comes to kitchen degreasing, few things do as good a job as an orange oil. To remove grease from kitchen benchtops, range hoods, or splashback tiles, just drip a few drops of straight orange oil onto the surface then wipe with a damp sponge or cloth. Remember to patch test first to ensure your surfaces don’t stain!
- Orange oil can be used to polish wooden furniture, and it can really shine up a treat. Along with that, it gives a yummy orange scent that freshens up the entire space. To try it for yourself, just add about 10 drops of orange oil to a cup of linseed or olive oil, dip a polishing rag in and wipe over the furniture. Get a good coverage, but not too much that it drips. Then, all you need to do is use a separate soft cloth to buff it up to a shine.
- In the practice of aromatherapy, orange oil is described as providing various benefits, including the possibility of “reducing stress”, controlling “anxiety”, enabling “relaxation” and “lifting mood”.
- Orange Oil can be added to the laundry to scent clothing, or it can be added to the dishwasher. To scent the kitchen in particular with a warm, clean Orange blend, fill a pot with water and add 1-9 drops of Orange Essential Oil along with either Lemon Essential Oil or Lemon rinds, Cinnamon sticks, and Cloves. Allow this blend to simmer on the stove. Alternatively, blend Orange, Lemon, Cinnamon, and Clove essential oils in an electric diffuser.