Grilled fruity chicken with tropical fruit salsaMagalies Citrus
MAGALIES FRUITY RECIPES – by Elmien Lerm
YUMMY MEALS – VOL. 1: Grilled fruity chicken with tropical fruit salsa
It’s summer time in sunny South Africa and that means it’s time to put your swimsuit on and to start the fire, “want ons gaan nóú BRAAI”! (For all the foreigners, that means it’s time to get some meat on the grill!)
This tropical grilled chicken recipe is easy to prepare and fit for any summer occasion, from a laid-back brunch to a light lunch to a dinner starter, or even a full meal. It can be done on an outside charcoal or wood grill, a kitchen oven or an electric grill. Simple, delicious and “vinger-lek-lekker”!
Ingredients (6 – 8 servings):
3 kg chicken portions
- 1 cup ready-to-drink Magalies 100% Fruit & Vitamins 1+4
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup dark rum
- 6 garlic cloves – chopped
- 3 table spoons brown sugar
- 3 peppadew chills chopped
- 3 red peppers – chopped
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
Tropical fruit salsa:
- 1–2 mangos, peeled and diced
- 1 pineapple, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup ready to drink Magalies 100% Fruit & Vitamins 1+4
- ¼ red onion – chopped
- 1 lemon – juiced
- 2 tablespoons of coriander – chopped
- 1 green pepper – chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper – chopped (optional)
- Arrange the chicken pieces in a baking dish.
- Place all the ingredients for the marinade in a blender beaker and pulse gently until mixed.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or more (overnight is the best!).
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before needed.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken pieces on the hot grill and cook for 10 minutes.
- Baste with the marinade and turn.
- Baste the top sides also after turning.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Continue to baste and turn every 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked and tender.
- Combine all the ingredients for the Salsa in a bowl, mix and season again with salt and pepper.Enjoy! Bon appetite! Thabela!Ukujabulela! Lekker eet!